Saturday, May 31, 2008

2008 Day One Hundred Fifty Two


Happy Saturday! We have the most perfect weather for today and I plan to go out and enjoy some.

I found a fun meme over at Diane's Place and wanted to play along.

In your entire life, have you ever...

Gone on a blind date? Yes, and the guy thoughout the whole date could not remember my name. It was a disaster.

Skipped school? Yes, and my mother, being psychic, always knew and I always got in trouble. I did not do it very often because I loved school. But you would think I would have learned that I would always get caught.

Watched someone die? No, but I have lost family and friends. My mentor and bestest pal, Sheri, died of breast cancer this past year. I miss her so much. And a new friend Raelee suddenly died from a heart attack at age 38. I'm sad because we didn't have enough time to really get to know one another, but, I know we would have become great pals. I have held a few favorites dogs while they passed.

Been to Canada? Yes. I hope they will let me back in after the incident. If not I will sing the song, "Blame Canada..."

Been to Mexico? Yes, I used to visit a really wonderful friend from high school, Rene, who lived in Poway, CA almost every Thanksgiving and we would take day trips down to Tijuana. Oh the fun we had. I will never forget the cross-eyed guy who sold her a velvet painting. I have also been to Matamoros. It was one of the spookiest, evil places I have ever been.

Been to Florida? Yes, I have been all through Florida. Great flea markets and food. My Aunt Louise and my cousin Greg live in Orlando. I love Key West. We had a chance to move to Tampa, M was offered a pretty good job there, but he turned it down. He didn't like the weather and wasn't so sure on the longevity of the company. ps..Hello Larry and Faye in Clearwater - we think of you often

Been on a plane? Not so much in recent years. But when I was young and single I was always flying off to somewhere. Have bag will travel was my motto. I used to know the airlines phone numbers by heart. But now we travel by car.

Been lost? I've been lost so many times, I have lost count. I live by the motto, All that Wander, Are Not Lost. Sometimes you find the most interesting places when you are lost.

Been on the opposite side of the country? I have been so lucky in this life that I have traveled through every state in this country. We live in an amazing country and I love every bit of it.

Gone to Washington, DC? Yes. I love visiting the monuments and going to the Smithsonian Museum. I want to visit there again and hang out in Washington Square and maybe join a protest.

Swam in the ocean? Yes. The summer I graduated from high school Naomi McKee and I would go to Santa Cruz beach everyday that summer. I got caught in the undertow one time swimming too far out from shore. Scared the daylights out of me. After that I swam closer to the beach, never to venture too far out where that could happen again. I love the ocean and the beach and it seems funny now that I live so inland.

Had your booze taken away by the cops? No. Was stopped once with my friend India and other pals on the way home from the bar we were all working at. But they did not find the beer. I have never been stopped otherwise for drinking while driving. Nowadays I am the designated drive, since I am no longer able to drink.

Lettered in a high school sport? No. In high school I did run cross country for a few years and I earned my senior lifesaving certificate in swimming. But I never excelled in sports. I was was way into 4H and horses to give that much time and attention to sports.

Cried yourself to sleep? Yes, many times. Over love gone bad, death and loss of friends and family and being fired from jobs. I used to be such a crybaby. I have toughened up some over the years.

Played cops and robbers? Maybe. We played a make believe game of monsters when we were young.

Played dolls? No, dolls never interested me.

Recently colored with crayons? Not recently. I do plan on making some shrink art pendants that require coloring with colored pencils.

Sang Karaoke? Yes. I cannot sing, but I love to sing. Doesn't make sense, does it? But I love getting up with friends and singing to old favorites. Such fun times, laughing singing and drinking. There would be no karaoke without drinking.

Paid for a meal with coins only? So many times. Not just for meals but for other things like groceries. Paying my entrance fee to work a flea market comes to mind. Hey, money is money, right?

Done something you told yourself you wouldn't? Yes, good and some stupid bad choice stuff too.

Cheated on an exam? Probably, since I am not all that smart, but can't remember a time exactly. I would have liked to have cheated on the Insurance license exam, because I had to take it 3 times before I passed.

Made prank phone calls? Yes, when we were kids. This was way before caller ID.

Laughed until some kind of beverage came out of your nose? Yes, lots of times. I know this is gross but one time we laughed and french fries came out of my nose. That was miserable. So miserable I remember it to this day.

Caught a snowflake on your tongue? Yes, every year when it first snows. I do it occasionally when the snowflakes are really large. Always makes me smile.

Danced in the rain? Yes, one time in Tennessee when we lived down in the woods M and I danced like crazies in a thunder storm. I still chuckle when I think of that day.

Written a letter to Santa Claus? Yes, I asked for a horse every year until my parents gave in and got me one. I was almost as obsessive like that kid in The Christmas Story wanting the beebee gun. I still believe in Santa. I think I married him.

Been kissed under the mistletoe? Many times **smile**

Watched the sunrise with someone you care about? Many times, the best times have been with M in New Mexico.

Been arrested? Twice for protesting the Vietnam War and once for riding my horse through a bar (long story)

Blown bubbles? This was one of my kids favorites things to do. I went to a wedding one time where instead of throwing rice, we blew bubbles. It was so cool.

Gone ice-skating. Weak ankles, never gave it try. Grew up in California - no ice ponds. I did roller skate. And good enough to try out for The Bay Bombers roller derby team, but I was too short, by 2 inches.

Been skinny dipping outdoors? When I was much younger and crazy.

Had a nickname? Saoirse, means freedom in Gaelic, pronounced Sheer-shaw (sort of)

Been to Africa? No, never had the desire.

Eaten cookies for dinner? Cookies, pie, cake, ice cream...anytime times were bad.

Been on TV? Not that I recall.

Stolen any traffic signs? No, but there was a few I wanted to.

Been in a car accident? Several, the worst one was being hit head on and going through the windshield with my head. Many stitches to my scalp and a totaled sportscar. Not my fault, the old lady driving a GTO was on medication. My parents probably made money on that one.

What is your....

mother's name? Mary Jane King

favorite drink? Lately, sugar free raspberry, grape or black cherry Italian Soda

favorite alcohol? All the white liquors, Cabo Wabo Tequila, Bombay Gin, Three Olives Vodka and Baileys too

birthplace? Fort Wayne, Indiana, Saint Joseph's Hospital

Favorite vacation spot? Nashville, TN, San Francisco, CA and Page, AZ

Favorite salad dressing? French

Favorite pie? Rhubarb Custard

Favorite number? 31

Favorite movie? The Quiet Man or Jeramiah Johnson.

Favorite holiday? Halloween

Favorite food? French Toast

Favorite day of the week? Saturday

Favorite brand of body wash? I use all different ones. But they must smell good. I'm using one that smells like roses right now.

Favorite toothpaste? None, I lost my teeth due to cancer so I have beautiful dentures.

Favorite smell? There are a few - Puppy smell, baking cinnamon bread, english leather cologne on men and Jovan Musk on women and new cut hay or grass


Do you have any...

tattoos? No, I wish I did though.

body piercings? Ears, twice.

Do you drive a 2-door or 4-door vehicle? Jiffy has 4 doors and a sunroof

What do you do to relax? Listen to music while beading or reading, watching tv or playing video games.

How do you see yourself in 10 years? Hopefully still alive and kicking.

5 comments:

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Boy, you didn't let any grass grow under you, did you? ;o)

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your answers, Saoirse!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Diane

Betty said...

Linda, I really enjoyed reading your post for today. I didn't know you had had cancer or if I did I had forgotten. Are you okay now?

I feel I know you a lot better after reading all about you.

Come on back to Nashville, Tn. for a visit to me and to Nashville. Wouldn't we have fun? Plus I would let you tell my fortune. How about that?

Steve said...

ok you know you cant just say bar and horse and not promise to explain it soon right? :)

golf got rained out today after hole 7
we got a raincheck but still was not the stress free day i was hoping for lol but still beat work

Steve said...

just stole your and diane's meme!
would love to join you and M for chicken and beer
hopefully sometime we will be able to do that

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blοg with
my twitter gгοup? Thеre's a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks thaynes.org